Gangtok International Film Festival - Gangtok is on a mission to present quality films from around the world as well as support, recognize and honour indie filmmakers.
About The Festival
Ending the stereotype of watching films in theatres and indie filmmakers not getting the attention they deserve from everyone. Gangtok International Film Festival - Gangtok is on a mission to present quality films from around the world as well as support, recognize and honour indie filmmakers.
It is dedicated to the film fraternity of the North-eastern region of India. This initiative aims to build a platform for the new as well as professional filmmakers to come together and explore different aspects of movie-making. Everything with just right amount from a blend of cultural identities to urbanization, Gangtok is a breathing and dynamic bit of paradise of the northeast. It is the known as the exotic capital for a reason. It has an amazing view of mount Kanchenjunga, the third highest mountain peak in the world.
The Mission of this project is to discover exceptional art-house cinema from all over the world. The project has been initiated to provide a supportive platform for the exceptionally talented independent indie filmmakers who have taken the risk of making films that are offbeat. But the most important aspect of the project is to introduce more people to indie cinemas and develop love for them.
The officially selected project in each month will receive laurel and certificate and the winners will receive customised certificate and laurel and are rated at their respective IMDb pages (if applicable). The monthly winners will automatically will be nominated for our annual live screening and Golden Yak Award. ( Best of the Best)
The awards are given in the following categories:
- Short Films (Less than 30 minutes)
- Narrative Features (Above 40 minutes)
- Documentary Films (Any length)
- Experimental Films (Any length)
- Student Films (Any length)
- Extra consideration: Best Director (Any Length)
- Extra consideration: Best Cinematography (Fiction & Documentary) (Any Length)
- Extra consideration: Best Editing (Fiction & Documentary) (Any Length)
- Extra consideration: Best Sound Designing (Fiction & Documentary) (Any Length)
- Extra consideration: Best Actor (Fiction) (Any Length)
- Extra consideration: Best Actress (Fiction) (Any Length)
- Extra consideration: Best Supporting Actor (Fiction) (Any length)
- Extra consideration: Best Supporting Actress (Fiction) (Any length)
- Virtual Reality (VR) / Augmented Reality (AR) and 360° Video (Any length)
- Drone Films (Any length)
- Web and New Media (Any length)
- Mobile Film (Any length)
- Young Filmmaker (Under 18) (Any length)
- Debut Filmmaker (1st or 2nd Film) (Any length)
- Horror / Science Fiction / Genre Feature Film (Above 40 minutes)
- Women’s Films (Any length)
- Film on Women (Any Length)
- LGBT Film (Any length)
- Animated Films (Any length)
- Family/Children Films (Any length)
- Educational Film (Any length)
- Films on Disability Issue (Any length)
- Film on Religion (Any length)
- Film on Nature / Environment / Wildlife (Any length)
- Travel Film (Any length)
- Silent Film (Any length)
- One Minute Film
- Postmodern Films (Any length)
- Free Speech (Any length)
- Television / Pilot Program or Series (Any length)
- Commercial / Advertisement (Any length)
- Music Video (Any length)
- Best Film Score – Soundtrack
- Trailer/Teaser (5 minutes or less)
- Film/Video Poster
- Photography (Photos from film set included)
- Treatment / Synopsis
- Short Script
- Feature Script
- Preforming Arts
- Amateur Film
- Best VFX Artist
- Best Producer
- Crime short
- Romantic short
- Comedy short
- Selfie video
Besides the BEST of the category AWARDS, there are also OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT
AWARDS, which are given in different categories.
RULES AND TERMS
GIFF is open to any film, regardless of content, subject, or origin. Submitting your film to the GIFF is not a guarantee of selection. All the official selection, nominees and the winners will be listed on our website permanently. We treat every filmmaker equally.
1. The film submitted to the GIFF for a particular month can be re-submitted at any time for a second chance, considering that we have different judges’ panels for each season.
2. Films made in languages other than English must have English subtitles otherwise they will be summarily rejected.
3. The GIFF reserves the right to refuse entries.
4. A director / producer may submit more than one film in a category and more than one category at a time.
5. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless the GIFF, from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits and publicity.
6. After a film has been an official selection, the filmmaker will be notified, and eventually the film will be listed on the festival website under Official Selections. The Official Selection status doesn’t mean that your film will be screened at the festival. It means that your film has been appreciated by our judges of panel and you can use the festival logo on your poster.
7. The GIFF will not refund any fees if the filmmaker fails to submit the film in the correct category. Films submitted without the correct fees or proper submission media may be deemed ineligible at the discretion of the GIFF programming director or executive director. The festival does not cover any of the expenses incurred by the filmmaker.
8. We require an official trailer or poster, synopsis and a link to your film. Please select the correct category while submitting to avoid disqualification. We reserve right to re-assign films to the appropriate category.
9. A nominee will be privately screened for the GIFF judging panel, and will not be screened initially to the public.
10. A filmmaker’s submission fee will not be reimbursed if they decide to withdraw their submission. All entry fees are non-refundable.
11. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless the GIFF, from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney’s fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits and publicity.
12. GIFF may without advance notice amend these Rules & Terms from time to time. Each and every such amendment shall be become effective immediately. It is your responsibility to periodically check for updates of these Rules & Terms.
All filmmakers understand and accept that if their film is accepted for presentation and screening at the film festival, they grant full and unrestricted permission for GIFF to screen the film/video at times of the festival’s choice and to charge an admission fee for the presentation of the digital video program.
The Filmmaker understands and accepts that they do not participate in receiving any funds from the Box-office proceeds which are fully retained by the festival to help cover the overall cost of the festival presentation. It should be noted for the record that box-office proceeds never cover the cost of presentation of the Features and Short Film Programs. The Festival (GIFF) is a non-profit, Cultural Organization with Federal, State, Country & City Tax-Exemptions.
Required Legal Stuff: The filmmaker releases the festival (GIFF) from any and all liability for dam-ages or destruction of the entered DCP. The Filmmaker understands that the entered DCP will be retained in a secure facility by the festival, and every effort will be taken to protect and control the viewing of this production. The festival assumes no liability whatsoever for theft, copyright violations or piracy of the entry.
We use Professional Pioneer International playback systems, all formats, all regions, including Region 0. All entries are carefully pre-screened prior to the public showing to assure that the DCP does perform to industry Standards. The Festival (GIFF) assumes no responsibility for any technical difficulties in the presentation of this video at the actual event.
The Film Festival (GIFF) reserves the complete right to make changes in the program dates and times and to possibly not screen the video, despite its being selected for screening.
The filmmaker will endeavor to present to The Festival (GIFF) a new and pre-checked Hard disk / DCP for the actual presentation of the video at the festival.
Veronica R. Tabares
Had a fantastic experience with the festival.
Thank you so much for selecting me as the winner for Debut Fimmaker! It’s good communication, and great to be a part of this film festival!
Koh-Ichi Kashiwaya, director of “Looking for Ai”
Overall Great experience , Great communication , My documentary film selected for “Outstanding achievement Award “
Adam Jay Crawford
Communication meets opportunity in spades with you guys! I was so humbled to be accepted into your ranks and to count myself among your monthly champions! Thank you!
I am deeply grateful and honored for having been declared the WINNER in the Narrative Feature Category, and also for having received the Outstanding Achievement Award in the Travel Film Category, for my film; Cruise New England. This fuels my ambition to move forward with new projects. Again, my deepest thanks, and I look forward to submitting to the Gangtok IFF.
There is no better reward than being appreciated…
Thank you “Gangtok International Film Festival” for the award allocated to my feature documentary “Autism Across the globe”. I hope that this reward will highly contribute in raising AUTISM AWARENESS AND ACCEPTANCE WORLDWIDE 💙💙💙 I highly recommend this prestigious film Festival!
It is a great honor to be part of the Gangtok International Film Festival. Thanks.
I really loved this film festival!
It has been such an exciting honor for “Bad Love Tigers” Screenplay to win Best Feature Script at GIFF! The level of communication, hospitality and networking with the team at GIFF was superb!! I highly recommend this festival and wish you all the best in keeping up the encouraging work that you are doing!!!
Thanks for honoring “EARL BISS – The Spirit Who Walks Among His People” as a winning documentary in your festival. It was a pleasure to connect with your staff. Keep up the good work in elevating film!
I am really happy and honoured that my film BIRTHDAY got the Outstanding Achievement Award in the festival. The GIFF is such a great platform for dreamers storytellers and independent film makers like me..
Being a first time producer and getting recognition for my film is an awesome feeling! My heartiest thanks to the organiser for encouraging to carry on my short films productions. And last but not least, it was great effort by my creative team.
Deba kumar Bora
I am realy happy , being a first-time filmmaker , my film INDRANIL got International Award from this prestigious film festival .
Deba kr Bora
Director of INDRANIL
Thank you so much for honoring my short script “I Will Wait For You”. Good luck to everyone!
Thank you for the Award given to The Shift. All my writings are based on Climate Change so I truly appreciate all the help I can get. Wish I could be there to enjoy your Festval. Thanks jim
P K Chattopadhyaya
We are indeed very happy to receive this honour from your esteem Festival. This will inspire us to take up new projects in future.